ReachOut is Australia’s leading online mental health organisation for young people and their parents. Our practical support, tools and tips help young people get through anything from everyday issues to tough times – and the information we offer parents makes it easier for them to help their teenagers, too.
A few things about us:
Our mission is to deliver innovative e-mental health services that enable young people to take control of their mental health and wellbeing.
- ReachOut.com was the world’s first online youth mental health service (switched on in 1998).
- ReachOut.com is accessed by 132,000 Australians each month. That’s more than 1.58 million people each year.
- Everything we do is youth-driven and evidence-based.
- ReachOut.com is available 24/7, from anywhere you can get the internet. So pretty much everywhere.
- An extension to our service for young people was launched in 2016 to help parents and carers improve the mental health and wellbeing of the young people within their family environment.
Who ReachOut.com is for?
There are 3 million young people in Australia, but ReachOut.com is designed so that any one of them (and their parents and carers) can take something away that benefits their mental health and wellbeing.
All young people
Any young person, regardless of mental health status, can benefit from ReachOut.com by developing their own coping skills, mental health literacy, and their ability to help a mate.
Young people in need of help
We help young people with signs of mental health problems understand what they’re going through and connect with further help.
Parents and professionals who work with young people
We make it easy for young people’s parents and carers, and others who work with young people including teachers, GPs and youth workers, to support young people’s mental health and wellbeing.
I cannot put into words how much ReachOut.com has changed my life.Daniel
The building blocks of ReachOut.com
We work hard to make sure ReachOut.com is relevant, engaging and trustworthy. Here’s what it takes to do that:
Practical info about mental illness and wellbeing written in everyday language, reviewed by young people and approved by experts. Fact sheets help young people understand what’s going on, and what they can do about it.
Apps & tools
Online tools like apps and games provide simple, self-directed care and learning about mental health. ReachOut.com has a range of self-help tools that guide young people in caring for their own mental health.
The ReachOut.com Community Forums are a safe space to give and get help from other young people. They’re the perfect place to go when a young person needs help making sense of complicated stuff in their life, and make a connection while doing it.
When a young person needs further professional help, ReachOut.com guides them to the contact info they need. We work closely with content and referral partners to make sure the path to specialised help is short and simple.
Honest, relatable stories from other young people are a powerful way to learn that there’s always hope and gain the confidence to get further help.
Youth involvement program
Our Youth Involvement Program places young people beside staff in creating every part of ReachOut.com. Our young volunteers spread the word about ReachOut.com in their community and drive great ideas that take our services from good to great.
For young people visiting ReachOut.com during a tough time, 91% say they got the information they needed.
Of young people in high psychological distress, 60% of those who visit ReachOut.com haven’t previously sought help from a professional. But after visiting, 41% say they’re more likely to seek additional help.
Our goal is that every young person who visits ReachOut.com takes away something that can benefit their life immediately:
- Increased mental health literacy
- Increased ability to recognise problems
- Increased knowledge of how to get help
Continued use of ReachOut.com leads to:
- Increased belonging + social connectedness
- Increased resilience + self-esteem
- Decreased stigma
Across the population, ReachOut.com contributes to:
- Decreased psychological distress
- Prevention of serious mental health problems
- Increased wellbeing and quality of life