ReachOut Youth volunteers
Here at ReachOut, young people are at the heart of everything we do. And there’s no better example of this than our exciting volunteer programs.
Since everyone has different interests, skills, and availability, we offer a range of options for getting involved with us. Our RO Crew program is the most general and flexible – you can sign up at any time and do as little or as much as you wish.
Our other programs are more specialised and require formal applications. As opportunities become available, we will advertise them below on this page, through our newsletter, and on our Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn pages – so follow us to stay in the loop.
If you want to know more about volunteering in general, check out Stephanie’s video on the right where she interviews three people about their personal experiences. We often think that volunteer work is all about helping others, but it turns out there are also some great benefits to receive as a volunteer!
- Youth Ambassadors
- RO Crew (casual volunteers)
- Speak Up For ReachOut
- Peer Moderators
- Uni student placements & High School work experience students
Youth Ambassadors (YAs) are the heart and soul of ReachOut. They are at the core of our service to help as many young people as possible.
As a YA, you will be part of a national team working closely with us to make sure the service stays relevant and accessible. You’ll gain skills in different areas of leadership, event management, public speaking, advocacy, content production and more.
The best part is that you’ll have a heap of fun while making a change in your community.
- Sharing your story of Mental ill health with us and our supporters
- Representing ReachOut in your community
- Engaging in fundraising events
- Participating in Media interviews as case studies
- Contributing to ReachOut.com content and online reviews
- Advocating for ReachOut in your community
- Executing your own events on behalf of ReachOut
- Meeting awesome like minded young people and having the best fun whilst doing it!
- Getting involved with our casual RO Crew volunteering first
- Completing an online training course
- Ongoing passion and commitment with ReachOut
This is the easiest and most flexible way to engage with us. By signing up to join our RO Crew, you’ll receive information about events and online activities that you can participate in.
What can I do?
- Attending events organised by ReachOut
- Helping to promote ReachOut’s content online
- Completing occasional surveys
- Help bring ReachOut to your school or Uni
- Get involved in a RO fundraiser
- Chuck us some likes on social media
- Help review our content to make sure it is relevant for other young people (and isn’t totally lame!)
- Join our builder program to build our online community on the forums
There’s no special training or minimum level of commitment! You can help out when you have time or step back when you’ve got a lot on your plate.
Sign me up!
Joining is as easy as filling out this short form. Once we’ve got your details, we’ll notify you when there are opportunities for you to help out.
Speak Up For ReachOut!
We are always on the lookout for LEGEND young people who want to volunteer with us.
This program is all about sharing your personal stories of overcoming challenges and tough times through the help of ReachOut services. You’ll be connected with an amazing group of committed and passionate volunteers and receive expert training to build your skills and make sure you can speak publicly with confidence.
You’ll be great for this program if;
- If you are between 18-22yrs
- If you have used the ReachOut service before
- If you are confident with public speaking
- If you can attend the weekend training workshop.
To become a SURFO volunteer there will be three rounds of application:
1. Completing this form
2. A phone/in person/skype chat to get to know you a bit better
3. Training – If your application is successful, we will invite you to complete an online introduction course and join us in for a weekend training workshop
We will be in touch about the next training sesh later in 2018.
Check out the other tabs for ways you can help out now.
Peer Moderators work exclusively online on the ReachOut.com Forums to keep our online community safe and supportive. They receive training in basic mental health knowledge, internal escalation policies, community engagement, leadership and much more. Experience as a Peer moderator is excellent for young people considering careers in Clinical Psychology, Community Management, Youth Work, Community Development or Health Promotion.
- Providing support to member
- Building capacity in the community
- Training senior members to provide support
- Moderation and management of the community
- Hosting weekly Getting Real sessions
- Hosting monthly chats with mental health experts
- Be between 18 and 25 years old
- Live in Australia
- Volunteer as a Community Builder for at least 2 hours a week, for 2 weeks
- Knowledge of mental health
- Experience in providing peer support
- Attending a 3 day training workshop in Sydney (we’ll fly you there and back :))
- Spending a minimum of 3 hours online per week
- A one year commitment
How to become a moderator:
A Builder is a member of the ReachOut.com community who has put their hand up to take support to the next level. They’re trained in the art of Peer Support and help us to make our community the best place ever.
If you’re interested in working in Counseling, Psychology, Youth Work, Community Management or Development, Health Promotion or Social Work, becoming a Community Builder is a great place to start getting the basic skills and to begin exploring what it’s like to support other people. Becoming a builder is also part of showing us you have what it takes to become a Moderator. Anyone in Australia within the ages of 16-25 can become a Builder.
Completing Builder training and participating for at least 2 hours a week as a Builder is also a pre-requisite for becoming a Moderator on the ReachOut.com community.
- Provide peer support – share what you have learned from your experiences.
- Help with basic moderation and management stuff on the forums.
- Help build and maintain our community as a safe and supportive space for anyone who wants to talk.
- Complete online training (approx 5 hours)
- Participate as a Builder in the community for an hour a week
- That’s it!
Applications are now open!
You can apply to be a Builder at any time. You can apply either through this form or by invitation after participating as a member for 3 months and making at least 100 posts in the community.
If you are studying a relevant course that requires you to get real work experience (i.e. a student placement), ReachOut may be the place for you. You’ll get to apply what you’ve learned on your course and help us deliver an awesome service that helps loads of young people every day.
Fill in this form and someone will be in touch within a couple of days.
Please note: We might not be the right place for your student placement. ReachOut is an online service and we can’t provide any clinical or direct (face-to-face) service experience.