Note: some people will be distressed by recent tragic events and media outlets are encouraged to direct any young person or parent to ReachOut.com, for further support.
Australians distressed by the tragic school shooting in Florida this morning are encouraged to seek help.
Frontline youth service ReachOut Australia has begun prioritising support services this morning and making available a range of content for young people and their parents through its website ReachOut.com and its Facebook, Twitter and other social media channels.
ReachOut is recommending young people take these practical steps to deal with bad world news:
- Take breaks from your news feed
- Do something that makes you feel better
- Join the conversation on our Forums
- Talk to your family and friends
- Get support from ReachOut.com
Likewise, parents are encouraged to consider the following tips to support their kids:
- Reassure them that they are safe and that gun laws are very different in Australia
- Tell them that violence isn’t the norm and most people think it’s not okay
- Encourage them to take a break from social media
- Take a break with your teen and go do something nice together
- Let them know they can talk to other young people on the ReachOut Forums
ReachOut CEO Jono Nicholas expressed his condolences to the families and friends of the victims, as well as those students caught up in the shooting.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Want to be one of the first to know about our work in youth mental health?
Just tell us your details and we will keep you in the loop via our email newsletter.